This morning I was contacted by Prime 500 Ltd. to interview on Google+. Prime 500 Ltd., is just getting started with Google+ and had completed our Google+ 101 tutorial. Grace and I shared a chuckle as she found my tutorial on Slideshare, contacted me on Twitter, I responded via Facebook and we finally connected on LinkedIn. Gotta love social media.
It’s really great to connect with you. My 3 quick questions are:
1. Firstly, do you use Google+? If yes, what do you like about it? If no, why not?
2. What IS Google+? Does Google+ have it’s own distinct personality and if so what is it?
3. How would you use Google+ for business?
I really appreciate your collaboration on this Nancy.
I was an early adopter with Google+ and one of the first of thousands to come on board and give it a whirl. When GOOGLE launches a social media site, it’s time to pay attention. As a “Google Juice Junkie” I wondered if the “Google Gods” would smile favorably down upon me if joined.
And they have:
- Optimizing your profile with your keywords (and links back to your website) give a strong link in a Google Search result. See our tutorial.
- In conjunction with our Google+ profile we have taken advantage of Google’s Authorship program and now search results for our keywords show my photo in the results. Read our blog here:
- Google Pages – In November 2011, Google+ rolled out Google Pages. Now the platform not only enables companies to create pages, but also encourages businesses to grow their following. Individuals can add a brand to a specific Google+ Circle, share a Google+ page with their network, +1 (or in other words, endorse) the updates a company publishes, leave comments, upload photos, and tag the brand in them. We were quick to set up a Page – yet another strong link in a Google search result for our keywords. See our tutorial here:
- Last month Google launched Google+ Local. Google Places pages have been entirely replaced by new Google+ Local pages. This is a dramatic change for the better, as Google+ Local is far more social. Soon we will be able to merge our Google+ Business Page with our Google+ Local page. (can’t wait!) See our tutorial here:
What I love about Google+
- Google Links (ooh, ahh…)
- Video chat is definitely the element that distinguishes Google+ from other existing social network. The Hangouts feature enables companies to engage with fans, and customers through video conference calls.
- Google understands privacy FAR better than Facebook. (just one example – you have to opt-in to facial recognition with G+ and opt-out with FB, by default)
- The ability to edit your posts. FB just rolled out the ability to edit a comment – but NOT the originating post.
- Games have their own feed – need I say more?
- You can follow whoever you want, without ‘friending’ them.
Google+ Demographics ( http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3121018/google-plus-statistics)
- Google announces 250 million Google+ users, 150 million monthly active users
- 150 million of these users sign on once or more per month
- 50% (75 million) sign in daily.
- Each user spends more than 60 minutes per day on Google products
- Most people who visit Google+ are doing so from mobile devices.
- People on average spend about 12 minutes using Google+
- The current ratio* between Male and Female (and ‘Other’) users at Google+ 69.4% men, 29.2% women, 1.4% other
Here is a fun link to show who the most active users and most popular posts on G+ http://socialstatistics.com/
Well, that was fun Grace! Please let me know if I can be of further help!
Response Received from Grace, Prime 500 Ltd. :
Thanks you so much for your comprehensive response, I think it will take me a while to digest and check out all your links! I will of course, send you a link to the end result and am happy to include a backlink to your site.
Let’s stay in touch!