Rumored to increase your search engine ranking, First came the +1 button, Google’s way of tracking your interests to ensure it serves up the content you like. Shortly after, came Google+ and at it’s one year anniversary in June 2012, it had a total of 250 million registered users of whom 150 million are active.
What makes Google Plus a game changer is that it integrates search engine optimization and social with your identity into the Search Engine Results (SERPs) page.
Then came Google Inside Search – When signed in with Google+, you’ll find personal results and profiles of people you know or follow. This is where the importance of identity comes in calculating your search engine results…
1. With Google Plus came the rel=author tag, which verifies you as the author of content you write. If you have noticed photos of people in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs), this is why. They’ve linked their Google Plus profile to their content. Google’s Authorship in 3 easy steps: Read our how to blog here: * The more they see YOU, the more they associate you as an authority in your field.
2. Google Places have been entirely replaced by Google+ Local pages. Merge your Google Local page with your Google Plus Business Page and have a one-stop Google portal for your business on the web. Read our Guide to Google Local.
3. Google favors social sharing over SEO – It’s All About Relationships. Your relationships to other Google Plus users will determine your Google rankings in the near future.:
4. Keywords in Google Analytics are disappearing - Google began encrypting keyword searches in October 2012 that normally would appear in your Google Analytics reports as “(not provided).” If you are logged into Google, your Google searches are encrypted. The number of “not provided” keywords will continue to decrease. View our guide Using Keywords for SEO.
5. Use your real name and change how you appear on YouTube, with the option to use your Google+ profile on your YouTube channel. - if you use Google+ and YouTube for personal branding and to build your presence online, there are advantages to making this change:
- a) brand consistency
- b) increase the seo power of your channel and your author rank
- c) ability to share private videos to your circles
- Log into your Google+ account and then go to YouTube.com.
- Go to your YouTube channel settings.
- In the “Overview” tab, select “Advanced” under your name in the “Account Information” section.
- Click “Begin using my full name on YouTube.